Monday 13 March 2017

My First ever Blog!! :)


OK Bloggers. This is my first ever blog, so I’m keeping it short and to the point….. hopefully!

So basically, I wanted to start a discussion on Men’s Mental health and suicide in the UK.
I started looking into this a few years ago, when a friend I knew back in school took his own life. And this obviously left me feeling shocked, confused and upset. Subsequently, three more guys from that same year at my old school took their own lives. And this started my journey in to exploring ‘Male suicide in the UK’.

I came across an organisation called the CALM Zone (www.thecalmzone.net), and was shocked by the statistics they published. 


Statistic like: 
  • Suicide is the UK’s single biggest cause of death among men under the age of 45….Do you get that? Nothing else kills more men/boys under the age of 45 in the UK than suicide..... nothing!
  • Over 76% of all suicides in the UK are Men!
  • When men choose to take their own lives, they usually pick a violent or brutal method; one which is more likely to result in death.

My question is…. What is wrong with us as a society? That for some men, when in a time of crisis or severe depression, the only option they see available to them, is suicide?

There are not many things in this world we/I can influence, or do very much about; but I for one cannot sit idly by and do nothing. 

So who is with me on this, and wants to stand up and fight against this silent killer in our society?


Lets TALK!




Thanks 

Graham Foxwell

The Man Shed
www.themanshed.org.uk 




--------------------------- Comments -----------------------------

Please feel free to make comments and ask questions here. All comments will be verified by TheManShed before they are posted. Please keep your comments clean. Those which fail our house rules may be removed. If you see a post that is inappropriate, alert us by using the "Report Abuse" link and we will act accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment