Wednesday 15 March 2017

Talking about your feelings

Now this is just my opinion, so take it as you see, and I would like to hear feedback.

Men are shallow when it comes to sharing feelings, which definitely true with me. However, this I believe, is very reason the statistics of depression, loneliness, stress and suicide in Men are so high in the UK.

Now I am not saying we all have to trot off to counselling, although in some cases we do! I am saying, we need to be able to say to our 'mates', "Life is a crap right now" and say things like…. "I've just lost my job", "My wife has left me", "My kids really sick" or "I'm really depressed right now and I don't know why".

We also need to be able to have a mate or two, we can let rip with. To Shout and swear at, and possibly get a bit aggressive with (I don’t mean violent).

Over the years we have been running the ‘Men’s Pub nite’ I can’t remember how many times, friends have followed me up to the bar or took me to one side, to say some of the things above.  Some just want me to say, ‘I’m really sorry to hear that’ and other want to chat a bit more.  And a few more want to meet up on another date, when it’s a bit more private to chat a bit more, and get what is bothering them off their chests.


And that simple conversation can be enough to stop that person going home and doing something else to relieve the pain and anguish they are going through.  That being, alcohol, drugs, violence or suicide.

Talk to your mates, to your Doctor, partner or us. We can if needed, signpost you to a professional if needed.

Don’t sit in silence. You are not alone.

Thanks 

Graham Foxwell
The Man Shed

www.themanshed.org.uk 



--------------------------- Comments -----------------------------

Please feel free to make comments and ask questions here. All comments will be verified by TheManShed before they are posted. Please keep your comments clean. Those which fail our house rules may be removed. If you see a post that is inappropriate, alert us by using the "Report Abuse" link and we will act accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment